Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for Alabama

Q: What can be done about a crowdfunding campaign that is making false statements about my husband to receive money?

My husband was in a lengthy custody battle which was resolved August 2015. His daughter's birth mother has now opened a campaign on a crowdfunding site making false accusations and statements about my husband in order to get donations for her to hire a lawyer. We have legal documents and plenty of proof to prove she is lying. What can we do and how do we go about doing it? If it is any use we are living in Alabama and the birth mother lives in Florida. I have contacted the site to see what there procedures are for this kind of thing but haven't received a response. Any information would be helpful.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Further to my answer to your other post, your husbands attorney could write to the crowdfunding site suggesting that they are abetting a libel, why that is so, which they may want to know as crowdfunders try to avoid being dragged into being part of a misrepresentation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.