Graham, NC asked in Personal Injury, Landlord - Tenant and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina

Q: My attorney quit and got a better job, He then tells me the opposing counsel wants him to testify can he talk about me?

My attorney file my case in Superior Court, in NC. He sent me an email saying he got a better job offer and is closing his practice. I didn't know he stopped working on the case. He then tells me the opposing counsel wants him to testify can he talk about me? He was to submit documents to the opposing side in now without an attorney, I must complete the documents. I need an attorney and I have 55 NO's from firms in NC who say they are to busy. I am really hurt and never had a back injury. I really care about my back and my future and someone please help?

2 Lawyer Answers

Peter N. Munsing


A: You should tell him you don't want him testifying about you. You have a right to his continued allegiance. He should have filed a request to withdraw. He has a duty to help his clients find lawyers. You should talk to someone at the local bar association. If it's about an injury contact a member of the NC Trial Lawyers Assn.

Paige Kurtz

  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Attorneys may not simply quit without court or client approval. They would be subject to discipline by the State Bar. In addition, the attorney-client privilege does not disappear simply because the attorney is not at the same firm so the attorney may not testify regarding conversations with you. You should contact the NC Bar Assoc referral assistance for help in locating an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.