North Carolina Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: When I was an adolescent my mother did therapy with me in our living room. Is it possible to sue for this?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 18, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
You not only want to blame talks you had with your mommy as a pre-teen for the problems you have as a 30 year old adult but want to sue her for it as well? There is no circumstance I can think of where legal action for something like that should have even crossed your mind let alone be something that is 'appropriate'. You say she doesn't get it - neither do I but sadly in today's world of ultra soft sensitive people, I suppose it may be possible. If this is something you feel strongly about,...

Q: What kind of lawyer can a massage therapist go to to create a liability waiver for free information sessions?

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Contracts and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Kelli Y Allen's answer
Your best bet is a business law attorney. A general practitioner who handles civil contracts should have familiarity with those issues as well.

Q: My 20 year old son was knowingly allowed to enter a bar being marked as over 21 the legal drinking age. After he left

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Car Accidents, DUI / DWI and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Aug 6, 2017
William Head's answer
Others injured or killed have the best claims. Your son willingly participated.

To get additional information, look at Super Lawyers, for NC personal injury attorneys in your town or the closest big city. Ask for guidance.

Q: Can A Lawyer loose his job for threatening me and my mama

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Jul 22, 2017
Kirk Angel's answer
Sure, if his boss wants to fire him for that.

Q: My lawyer did not claim damages ($97,000) that I had asked him to claim. I had a vacation rental that I was unable to

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Construction Law and Contracts for North Carolina on
Answered on Jun 3, 2017
Will Blackton's answer
Your lawyer is in the best position to determine what claims should be raised in a pleading. You should talk with your lawyer and ask if he mistakenly omitted a claim, or determined, in his professional opinion, that a claim should be omitted.

To answer your question: ask your lawyer if this was, in fact, a mistake, and if anything can be done to fix it if it is a mistake.

Q: Do I have a right to see a child abuse incident report now it's been dismissed in court?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Feb 17, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Possibly through your state's police regulations. Generally, should have been released through the criminal discovery process. Speak with the NC Civil Liberties Union.

Q: Who does the ethic committee of NC answer to? They have not contacted us nor got us the money they promised.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Aug 3, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
You need to contact the disciplinary board for North Carolina.

Q: My attorney quit and got a better job, He then tells me the opposing counsel wants him to testify can he talk about me?

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Landlord - Tenant and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Jul 16, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
You should tell him you don't want him testifying about you. You have a right to his continued allegiance. He should have filed a request to withdraw. He has a duty to help his clients find lawyers. You should talk to someone at the local bar association. If it's about an injury contact a member of the NC Trial Lawyers Assn.

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need to sue another lawyer for malpractice?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Jan 24, 2013
Brian F Davis' answer
You need to hire a lawyer who handles legal malpractice cases. There are not many of us who do this type of work because lawyers do not like to sue other lawyers. Most of the time, these types of cases are also very complex and expensive to handle. Therefore, you need to have significant damages to justify bringing a legal malpractice case. Generally, you will have to look for a legal malpractice lawyer in a different part of the state from where your former attorney practices. Some legal...

Q: How do you report a lawyer for practices that have been paid for that the lawyer never handled?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Nov 8, 2011
Terrence Rubino's answer
i understand your question to be that you paid a lawyer to do something and the lawyer did not do it. lawyers have many varied ethical duties. these duties vary from state to state but basically involve honesty. each state has a disciplinary commission or board that governs the conduct of lawyers. clients have the right to file a grievance with that board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.