Tacoma, WA asked in Medical Malpractice for Washington

Q: What are my rights if a doctor falsified my records to perform an inappropriate surgery?

My doctor performed a lumbar laminectomy decompression surgery on me for lower back pain. He falsified my medical records to say that I had radiating pain down my buttock and legs; he said that was my primary complaint. I had no pain anywhere except my lower back. I can prove that using the records from his own office. I have since been told by my new doctor that surgery is only appropriate when radiating pain is present. I have a degenerative disc at L4-L5. He said that a fusion with discectomy is the only surgery recommended for my diagnosis and even that only has a 60% success rate.I have contacted a lawyer who told me that I will need to pay $10,000 to have an expert testify that the surgery was not warranted. I don't have that kind of money. My back pain is worse after the surgery. Is there some way that I can sue him for the unnecessary surgery without paying for an expert?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Contact a member of the State of Washington Assn for Justice-they give free consultations. Many don't expect the client to pay for expert fees up front.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.