Richmond Hill, NY asked in Criminal Law, Child Support and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: My ex boyfriend has tortured me for years. we have a 9 year old daughter together. we had an on and off relationship

I couldn't take his physical, emotional and verbal abuse every single day. he tried to kill me several times. I had him arrested twice and dropped the charges for my daughters sake. he is continually harassing me when I see him, calling me the worst names in public. I am dating someone new and he keeps texting me saying I'm a slut etc I lost my cool with him and texted him back also nasty words. I left him voicemail saying to leave me alone, I didn't want him and I hated him, I wish he would die and if he tried to ruin my new relationship I would fuck him up. we had a physical fight. he shoved me and I shoved him. he scrambled and I scrambled him. he got a scratch on his neck. he called the cops and had me arrested. I spent the night in jail and was issued a order at arraignment. I have to go to court in about a month. What should I expect at nyc court and how can I defend myself? I honestly do not want anything to do with him. he has tortured me for too many years.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: Consult with an attorney privately re: this matter. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.