Washington, DC asked in Collections and Real Estate Law for District of Columbia

Q: How do I collect a judgment awarded by the Court against a contractor that caused major damage during home repairs?

Hello - A real property lien has been filed with the state. The defendant jointly owns a house with his mother (she lives elsewhere), and a foreclosure case on the property is in progress. The mother is trying to refinance in order to keep the house. As the property has considerable market value and was once fully mortgage-free, there is abundant equity involved. If sold, the mortgage would be paid first, then I would be in second position (as I understand it) in order for a buyer to obtain clear title. I am permanently disabled, and in no financial position to retain counsel. The DC Bar charges a fee for each referral, and I can't afford it. As a result of this process, I am in arrears with my condo fees and fear a foreclosure attempt on my home. Would an attorney take my case pro bono plus expenses or be willing to accept a fee from the reclaimed funds? My home would not sell at market value in its current state, and my child and I would be homeless. Please advise. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Try finding a foreclosure attorney, bankruptcy attorney, and collections lawyer online, and ask if they take cases on a contingency. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me on my law practice website. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.