Covington, LA asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice and Libel & Slander for Louisiana

Q: I was sued ifor over $24,900 for a $5,100 loan (estimate) A vehicle was repossessed for collateral in 2003. Is it legal?

Lawsuit in 2003, 1999 truck repossessed in 2004, default judgement in 2003..Revived judgement in 2012 & wage garnishment after my wife (married 2012) in 2015 for community regime . Claims to not have sold vehicle for collateral .. Is this legal ? I ordered a car fax & vehicle was sold less than 45 days after repossession..

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You need to consult someone who represents consumers. Go to

Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: It may have been a $5,100 loan but you may have owed much more by the time the vehicle was repossessed because of interest and late charges. The repossession costs are also added to the bill. Attorney's fees are typically added to that amount but even considering all I am having a hard time seeing where the amount got to nearly $25,000 without seeing the actual judgment itself.

A judgment can be revived every 10 years so there is no statute of limitations (we call it prescription) issue. This debt can haunt you until at least 2022 and then it can be revived for another 10 years. If your wife is still being garnished, the judgment creditor does not have to stop until the amount is paid in full. It is legal to garnish your wife for your judgment, even if you had it for years before you married her, unless you have a prenuptial agreement. That is because her earnings, from the date of the marriage, are community property and technically half yours and property a creditor can seize for payment.

I think you really need to sit down with a consumer protection attorney and see what your options are because it does not sound like this judgment is going away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.