Salt Lake City, UT asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Oregon

Q: Suspended license due to boyfriend driving my uninsured car without permission.

DMV said he has to write a letter saying i didnt know so that I can get my license unsuspended and get a removal of a ticket for $400. However he was on bench probation at the time of the accident but he did have an SR-22. if he writes that letter what happens to him? Does he get put back on probation? does he get charged more for something else? He already has his licence suspended for another year due to driving without insurance but because the car wasn't insured does that mean he can still get charged for something else? But he is off of bench but he wasn't at that time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: This the guy who took your keys? Thought I answered that. In any event, he should ask his lawyer. I would advise you get the letter, he put you in the jam, if his sorry self is back inside you can look for someone who won't leave you high and dry.

I know, deep down inside he's a wonderful guy--only did this once before. If he's off the probation now, his writing the letter won't somehow trigger anything as there is no open file. Your bigger problem may be if there was a crash and the other people will be looking at you to pay and your insurance may say he's unauthorized. Depending on the value of the car I'd say if a member of the Oregon Trial Lawyers Assn/Assn for Justice gives you a free consult, great, if not pay for one--you need answers that are based on Oregon law & your insurance policy and when drivers may be excluded.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.