Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: What is the time limit and rules in Oklahoma for filing a second page (after former) on a new charge ...same crime.etc

Does it need to be the same type of crime? I.e. Felony indecent exposure then 8years later manslaughter automobile?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Craig M. Hoehns
Craig M. Hoehns
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Your generic question is too broad to answer without going on for several pages. When it comes to sentence enhancements (after formers), there are different rules that apply depending on what prior convictions or deferred adjudications exist for a charged individual and with what an individual is currently charged. Domestic Abuse, Protective Order Violations, DUIs, Drug Charges, Sex Offenses, Child Abuse, and General Felonies are all treated differently.

Your example of a manslaughter charge filed within 8 years after conviction of the felony of indecent exposure would be properly filed under the general sentence enhancement statute found in title 21 sections 51.1 and 51.2. See: and

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.