Monroe, OH asked in Traffic Tickets and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Was going 77 in a 50. I'm 17 years old and this is my first offense. Will I lose my license or what will happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas A. Ball
Douglas A. Ball
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Batavia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you accumulate 12 points or more in a period of 2 years, your driving privileges will generally be suspended for 6 months. After that period, you'll need to take a remedial driving course. After you complete the course and satisfy the requirements of your OH driver's license suspension, you'll have to take the driving test again.

Check Your OH Driver's License Status

Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver's license, you can order an Ohio driving record report. This record show if your driver's license is currently valid. If your driver's license is revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what's on record with the Ohio BMV. This report will also show points held against your driver's license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.

Ohio Traffic School for Point Credit

You may be eligible to take a remedial driving course approved by the Department of Public Safety, where you will receive a point credit. (See a list of approved schools that offer this course.)

OH Point Effects on Your Insurance Rates

Accumulating points on your driver's license can possibly result in higher insurance premiums. Check with your agent or insurance company for details about chances you may have to earn a safe driver discount and lower your car insurance rates.

From the Ohio State Bar Association site:

Q: How long do the points stay on my record?

A: Any points assessed will stay on your record for a period of two years. If you accumulate a total of 12 points in a two-year period beginning on the date of the first conviction, your driver’s license will be suspended for a period of six months. You do have a right to appeal this suspension, but you will need to file the appeal before the suspension date listed on the letter of suspension that you got from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Q: When I went to court for a speeding ticket once, the judge told me that I could take a course and have two points taken off my record, but that I could only do that once in my life. Is that true under current law?

A: Under current law, you can enroll in a remedial driving instruction course and have two points removed from your driving record, and you may take the course as many as five times in your life (although not more than once in any three-year period).

Q: When can I take the remedial driving course to get two points off my record?

A: You may enroll in the course as soon as you get two points, and you must enroll before you have accumulated 12 points. If you wait until you get 12 points, you will be ineligible to take the remedial course.

Q: Is there somewhere that I can check for myself what Ohio law says about points?

A: Yes. The Ohio Revised Code, Section 4510.036, has the information regarding how points are assessed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.