Sacramento, CA asked in Civil Rights, Sexual Harassment, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nevada

Q: In Nv, is there anything that can stop or halt the moving of a prisoner based on the facts of discrimination by facility

He's been segregated in solitaire confinement by the NORTHERN NV CORRECTIONAL CENTER based on his health status and sexual orientation and discriminated against now for about 8.5 months. I contacted the facility after the DOJ stepped in and advised them that an attorney would be contacting them because what they are doing is wrong and since the treatment has gotten worse. He is now being moved about 6 hours away from his HIV/aids specialists from a medium security prison in solitaire confinement to a maximum security prison in solitaire confinement with 23 hour lockdown with no access to his Dr's. Facility mental health workers and case workers have advised against this due to his mental status as well as health status being HIV+ and needing to be close to his Dr's. He needs at minimum to stay where he is located based on this and I'm curious if there is any way to send a grievance or motion to stop or halt this process as I feel it too is based in discrimination. Thanks.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Contact the Nevada Civil Liberties Union, and ask to speak with one of their "cooperating attorneys" for prison issues. They give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.