Indianapolis, IN asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: What are my rights in court?

I was sued by an apartment I moved out of 3 years ago. Apparently they had taken me to court and had a judgement entered against me. The court said they served me a notice which I never got. They said I owed them for damages. That debt was sold to a collection agency who is taking me to court based on the original judgment. What are my rights at this point cause I don't believe that debt is valid to begin with.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You can demand validation of the debt from the collection agency, but since a judgment has been entered against you already, you need to consult with an attorney to contest the judgment itself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.