Ephrata, WA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Washington

Q: Have 1.5 weeks to get ready for a hearing to get my son back, FULL custody. How can I be prepared to win this case?

My son is 5 years old and his mother suddenly moved him, her and her daughter's belongings out of our apartment that we shared for 6 years. She did this right in front of the children, very upsetting to them and me. She took my son away and refused to let me see him for the most part. I contacted her multiple times to try and see my son so then she slapped me with a two-week restraining order to not see her or our son. After that hearing it was extended for a year but with more visitation every Wednesday for an hour and a half and every other weekend. I now opened a case 4 family plan, asking for full custody. I have less than 2 weeks to lock down getting my son back. His mother is living with her parents, six people in a one-room studio and our son is sleeping in the same bed room as her and her alcoholic boyfriend as they have intimacy. She neglects my son, due to work and being with her boyfriend. My son misses his home, his school and his friends back with me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Burlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: What a difficult situation for you. Each county has some kind of legal aid program, one that organizes for others in the state is the Northwest Justice Project (https://nwjustice.org/). You can call their CLEAR Hotline at 1-888-201-1014

(M-F 9:15 am to 12:15 pm) to see if pro bono (free) legal help is available to you, and you could start/continue self-educating by reading the materials at http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/search?q=child+custody. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.