Concord, NH asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire

Q: what can I do about my son being assaulted at school?

my son was at school last Thursday and at recess he had an altercation with another boy in which this boy head butt my son in the chest took my sons glasses off his face and proceeded to break them, then he grabbed my sons arm and bit him causing severe bruising the school assured me that this child received the highest disciplinary action but yet he was already back at school on Monday so he didn't even receive an out of school suspension for more than 1 day which I don't think is right my son was suspended last school year for swearing for 3 days this child destroys my sons property and physically hurts him and it seem as though he had no discipline for his actions and his parent are refusing to replace my sons glasses what can I do as a parent?

2 Lawyer Answers

Dennis Hernandez

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: I would refer to an attorney for a consultation. Situations like this can be delicate, but if you feel that your son's rights have been violated, then you have the ability to dig further into the situation.

Best of luck

Peter N. Munsing


A: Contact an attorney who handles Education cases and is a member of the NH Assn for Justice--they give free consultations.

If the child had previous discipline problems there may be a case. However the school isn't responsible if a kid goes off because they don't have an obligation to be everywhere. You have a right to ask whether if they let this thug in the school your son will be protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.