New Hampshire Juvenile Law Questions & Answers

Q: Can I represent a friend in a New Hampshire court of law?

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 17, 2019
Andrew S Winters' answer
Theoretically, the law allows for this. Read RSA 311:1:

HOWEVER, I would never recommend this to either the potential litigant or the person thinking about representation this way. It is very likely to end badly for all involved.

If you are interested, there was a fair amount of press and legal opinions on this issue about 15 years ago involving a non-lawyer named Theodore Kamaskinski in New Hampshire. Just google it....

Q: My son paid a fine in court but he just got a paper in the mail saying he needs to pay? He already did! Plz help...

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on May 2, 2018
Amy C. Connolly's answer
If he paid by credit card or check you should obtain the records to bring to the court to show proof of payment. The court should have issued a receipt, you should try to find it and bring it to the clerk's office. I hope this helps.

Q: A student at a public high school performed a lewd sexual act in class. Principal verified claim but nothing done.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 13, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
I would contact the members of your school board or any other elected officials in your town or city.

Q: Hello my child is currently in juvenile court over a charge of a pot pipe. She has a lawyer and I asked him to appeal

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 1, 2017
Joseph D Garrison's answer
Although you are the parent and a party to the case, the lawyer's duty is to the child. The child is the one who needs to tell the lawyer what they want to do.

Q: My son has been dating this girl 3 years younger than him for almost 3 years. He will be turning 18 this year.illegal?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 1, 2017
Joseph D Garrison's answer
Dating is fine but if they are having intercourse, that is illegal.

Q: what can I do about my son being assaulted at school?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire on
Answered on Oct 7, 2016
Dennis Hernandez's answer
I would refer to an attorney for a consultation. Situations like this can be delicate, but if you feel that your son's rights have been violated, then you have the ability to dig further into the situation.

Best of luck

Q: if im sixteen and pregant and im on probation and i runaway what will happen?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Sep 22, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
Running away will make it worse. Stay put and get an attorney. If you are indigent, the court can appoint an attorney. What kind of life do you expect to live as a young, pregnant runaway?

Q: Im a 14 year old male, is it legal for me to hit a 17 year old male in New Hampshire.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 10, 2016
Israel Piedra's answer
It's never legal to hit someone. You could be charged with assault and battery. If your friend was sexually abused, speak to an adult you trust, or notify local law enforcement.

Q: In New Hampshire, is it legal for a minor to use an e-cigarette if the e-juice in the e-cigarette contains zero nicotine

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jan 12, 2016
Israel Piedra's answer
It's unclear whether RSA 126-K, which prohibits e-cigarette use by minors in NH, applies only when the device actually uses nicotine vapor, or applies to all devices CAPABLE of producing such a vapor. However, from a practical standpoint, law enforcement has no way of knowing whether or not you're using nicotine. Call your local police station to seek clarification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.