Hailey, ID asked in Tax Law for Idaho

Q: Looking for student attorney interested/available to help with an IRC Section 6015(f) denied relief petition Tax Court

Have received Final Appeals Determination and wish to petition the US Tax Court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Lone Tree, CO

A: If you meet the low income qualifications, you can find assistance at a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, many of which have student attorneys supervised by practicing attorneys. However, outside specific law clinics, a student can't help you with your petition because that could constitute unauthorized practice of law.

If you want a representative, they have to have a Tax Court Bar Number in order to represent you before the Court.

If you wish to handle the issue on your own, the Tax Court provides information and guides for you to use at https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/taxpayer_info_start.htm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.