Portland, OR asked in Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: what if 18 dropped out of high school and will not give me proof of attending online ??

She says she is taking classes on line to graduate but her mom and her refuse to give me the information so I can check to ensure she is despite the fact we have joint custody and is required to. She lied in the past and I found out she failed to do her online school she has not been in school for a year and a half now she will be 18 soon am I still required to pay support after she turns 18 if she does not graduate or is failing to attend her online classes??

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Read the Oregon Statutes regarding child support and a child attending school. You might want to print it out and send her a copy. https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors107.html Go to this link and read ORS 107.108. You may also want to read the administrative rules the also apply. In anycase the law provides you with a way to notify your daughter and/or the support enforcement folks that you will terminate support if you don't get the proof that is needed in 30 days. You may still need to file a motion to modify child support with the court to accomplish this after the 30 days run out. Your adult daughter must be named as a party in any proceeding involving child support filed in the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.