Oregon Education Law Questions & Answers

Q: Can I ignore a state university that is trying to fine me if they do not have my SSN or address?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Education Law for Oregon on
Answered on Apr 1, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
If they know your name they can easily find out everything else they need to sue you; and they might, do that because of the large amount involved. Accordingly, I do not advise you to start ignoring them now. Your decision to appeal the fine has already pushed them far enough to continue with the appeal and then take it farther, perhaps even getting a default judgment against you. Hire a good lawyer to write investigate all the facts and then send them a fiery letter.

Q: what if 18 dropped out of high school and will not give me proof of attending online ??

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Answered on Oct 19, 2016
Joanne Reisman's answer
Read the Oregon Statutes regarding child support and a child attending school. You might want to print it out and send her a copy. https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors107.html Go to this link and read ORS 107.108. You may also want to read the administrative rules the also apply. In anycase the law provides you with a way to notify your daughter and/or the support enforcement folks that you will terminate support if you don't get the proof that is needed in 30 days. You...

Q: I have a lawsuit filed in Federal Court against the local school district: can I contact the paper?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Answered on Jul 21, 2016
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
Can and should are two different things. Can you, yes, should you, no. Ethics rules prohibit/restrict what attorneys can do in such situations, but not the litigates themselves.

Q: Can our public elementary school ban my son from family events after he withdrew from school?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Answered on Mar 31, 2016
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
I do not do public education law by any means, but you have a situation where they possibly could rightful ban him from the school due to the threats he made. People can be trespassed from public places, TriMet does it all the time.

Q: My daughter is constantly being hit or kicked in school (8yrs old). What are her rights and how do i get it to stop?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Answered on Mar 15, 2016
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
If it is the same child hitting yours, you might consider counseling for your daughter. That would establish emotional harm. Then sue the parents and the school for negligent supervision, see ORS § 30.765 as to liability on the parents. For the school, note a tort claim notice has to filed and fairly quickly (assuming this is a public school).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.