Fargo, ND asked in Child Support for North Dakota

Q: Would a parent be responsible for arrears although their name wasnt on the childs birth certificate until 2 years old?

The father of our child was aware of my pregnancy and the birth, and I have documented statements from him notifying me that he did not wants his rights as a parent, and to stop contacting him, etc.....I finally reached out to him after hearing nothing from him for 2 years, to see if he wanted to meet her. He decided he did want to be involved and we are in the process of getting his name on the birth certificate...if this situation goes to mediation or court I would like to know if I have the right to ask for arrears although his name wasnt on the birth certificate for the first 2 years of her life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Lucas Wynne

  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Because no attorney knows the particulars of your case beyond what you have written, I suggest contacting the Child Support Unit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.