Cuyahoga Falls, OH asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Ohio

Q: Can a creditor attempt to collect a debt that was filed as "Avoid lien using 11 USC 522 (f) after a Ch. 7 discharge?

I filed a Chapter 13 in Atlanta, GA, October 2015 and converted it to a Chapter 7 in the spring of 2016. I had a judgment for a college debt that is not a student loan and it was listed as "Avoid lien using 11 USC 522 (f)" due to previous garnishments of my paycheck. The bankruptcy was discharged in June. I moved back to Ohio from Georgia and now the same creditor is pursuing the debt yet again. Can they do that? What should I do? The law office representing the creditor said that they have no record of the debt being cleared but I have all of the paper work associated with my case. Should I send them a copy?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Frank Gigiano
Daniel Frank Gigiano pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Wadsworth, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You should send them a copy of your bankruptcy discharge notice. The creditor's attorney may only be looking in Ohio federal courts, instead of the national database. If they continue to pursue you after sending them the notice, you may be entitled to damages for violation of your rights acquired through bankruptcy. One possible exception is if they are pursuing their lien rights. If you properly avoided the lien, they lost that right. If not, they may still be permitted to pursue that, and only that, remedy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.