Dallas, TX asked in Personal Injury for Texas

Q: y son has a personal injury suit he settled but he recently went to jail what do I need to do to act on his behalf

They are ready to have him sign the final paperwork and issue the check but he I'd in jail what do I do to act on his behalf

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: The lawyer can either go to the jail to meet with him or you can go with the paperwork.

A: If the case is settled and the check has been issued then all you have to do is deposit the check in his bank account. If the check was issued to both his lawyer and himself thus requiring a counter signature, then the lawyer can visit your son at the jail to obtain your son's signature.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.