Eugene, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant and Social Security for Oregon

Q: I have a housing voucher. My income SSDI is $980 month. What happens if I have saved over $2000 in my bank account?

My only source of income is SSDI and I am not employed. The housing specialist is doing an annual income review. I am afraid my rent will be raised or I will lose my housing voucher because I have saved more than $2000 in my checking account.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I am not clear what means test you are worried about? SSDI is not like SSI - you can have more then $2,000 saved and you won't lose money from your next SSDI payment. However, you may have to keep your total assets level down low in order to qualify for section "8" housing which has it's own rules. I am not a section "8" specialist and frankly the section "8" rules are so confusing that even the people the work for section "8" don't understand their own rules. Legal aid has attorneys that know more about section "8" then most attorneys. I would call your local legal aid office to find out what your asset limits are for section "8" housing. Also if you can't have more then $2,000 in cash, you might want to convert some money to an asset that is exempt, like buy clothing that you need, buy anything medical that you need that isn't otherwise covered by insurance, stock up on heating fuel (oil, wood), stock up on non-perishable grocery items, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.