Chicago, IL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: I have2kids with my exgirlfriend,she refused to accept child support for7years,but now that she has a new kid want

i've been putting that money away for my children in a bank account till they turn 18, as any time I did send money she spent it on herself or her boyfriend. I'm worried now she will try to come after me and my wife and kids. What should I do? I wanted to work out payments for my children, not her life and shes been unreasonable for 7 years, but now that she has a new born wants and is threatening to take me to court for back payment etc.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Peters
Angela Peters
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I strongly suggest that you talk with an attorney. She could request support as far back as the birth of the children. It is all a question of the facts that are presented to the Court. She certainly could request child support going forward. You can't refuse to pay because you feel that she is spending the money on herself. You would have to prove that she is not providing the children with those things that your child support is for. Again, I would suggest you sit down with an attorney if she is threatening you with a lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.