Pico Rivera, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: 50 50 custody.mom in jail.domestic violence..can I change my daughter's school? Since I have sole custody as of current

Ex baby mamma and me have 50 50custody over my daughter in October 20th 2016. We got in a big argument where she attacked me and almost threw me off a second story balcony...she was arrested that night on domestic violence and vandalism charges..I filed for restraining order and full custody.I got approved of the restraining order but not full custody tell court hearing...I'm living in a different city then I was before..I was living in Ontario with my ex baby mamma but after the altercation I moved back to chino...my daughter goes to school in Ontario..but I need her to go to school here in chino close to me so I can get her and take her to the baby sitters and take her to school...with the mom incarcerated do I have permission to change schools for my daughter so she's close to me and it makes it easier on me? Cause I would be taken her to school all while I'm still working

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anie N. Akbarian
Anie N. Akbarian
  • Encino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Since there is a 50/50 custody orders in place and due to change of circumstances, the court will look at the best interest of your daughter and not necessarily yours. The court's will look at your daughter's age and her ties to the school, etc. Before making any changes, consider the elements that the court will consider. I suggest that you seek an advice of an attorney and discuss your case in detail for specific answers. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.