Dickinson, ND asked in Child Custody and Child Support for North Dakota

Q: Can I move from Missouri to ND with my child and then file for child support in ND.

My daughter lives in Missouri and wants to move back to ND with her daughter. Nothing has been filed in Missouri at this point. She would like to move to ND and then file for custody and child support from here. The father of the child is not active in her life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Lucas Wynne

  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: After 180 days of residing in North Dakota, your daughter may (generally) file for child custody in North Dakota as long as there is not an open case in Missouri or other jurisdictional issues present in the matter. Retaining an attorney is the best option available as child custody issues become contentious quickly. I hope this answer helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.