Denver County, CO asked in Banking for Colorado

Q: How do I gain access to my husband's checking accounts if he died without a will?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There are two possible answers:

1. Assuming your husband is deceased:

Contact the bank to see what they require. Under some situations, the bank may allow access to a surviving spouse. If this does not work, most banks require a death certificate and/or a document listing the closing of an estate in probate. Some banks require a full court order (rare).

2. Assuming your husband is still alive:

Have you husband make you either a co-signer on the account(s) or establish a right of survivorship to you. Talk to the bank about the requirements and differences of either approach.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.