Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law for Nevada

Q: About a month ago my wife and I had an argument. The police came and left and no one was arrested.

The police came and we each gave statements. I am bipolar and a bipolar episode was what caused the fight. My mind had me convinced she had hit me, so in filing out the police statement that is what I said. The police looked at everything and said the didn't think I hit her. She was stating I hit myself. The police seemed to agree with her. I just thought they were taking the side of the women. So yesterday we get a notice in the mail that the county is pressing charges against her. I am unclear why this happened or where we go from here. It was very clear to the officers and also to myself (the next day) that she didn't do this) Where do we go from here to make this go away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sean Neahusan
Sean Neahusan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Reno, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: She needs representation. This charge is the a misdemeanor, but can impact some Constitutional Rights. This case should go away with a reasonable Prosecutor. Once she is represented, write the prosecutor to let him/her know that you were having a bi-polar episode and had convinced yourself that she struck you, but cannot now say that this is what actually happened. This should convince (or motivate) prosecutor to drop the case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.