Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Nevada Criminal Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: My son sold drugs to a under cover cop what can he get for that he is a addict and was selling them to get them for hims

William Jaksa answered on Sep 11, 2019

The courts and police are very familiar with the circumstances that User-Dealers find themselves in. They buy drugs from their dealers, sometimes they are fronted the drugs, then they sell to support their habit. The unfortunate issue is that they are still dealing drugs and they are still apart of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: If was convicted of possession of small amount of cocaine 28 years ago, does this immediately disqualify me from

Patricia Warnock answered on Aug 27, 2019

Your question was cut off and is unanswerable as is

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on

Q: What will happen in this situation to my exboyfriend?

So i went to a teacher for advice and i told him about how my exboyfriend threaten me with pictures but me and my exboyfriend were good again but the teacher got the school involved i have not made any reports against my exboyfriend though and i dont want the school to do anything against him or... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 17, 2019

Please also ask the teacher about not writing in a single run on sentence

Lawyers want to answer inquiries accurately.

We cannot be dure if it is not parsed into single sentences starting with capital letters and ending eith punctuation marks

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: My name is Donnie Holt on 2/22/19 i was issued 2 citations one for use/poss drug para and one for false stmt/obst pub

I had court on 4/1/19 but failed to show up upon trying to contact the courts to get back on calender it appears that both cases were dismissed n i believe it has to do with NRS171.1773 how can i find out for sure i have a good job i dont want to lose because of a surpise visit to jail

Patricia Warnock answered on Jul 30, 2019

Most jurisdictions in Nevada have websites where you can look up case information. Determine where your violation occurred to figure out which court you should be checking into and review their online system. If you cannot find the information there, you can always call the specific court.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nevada on

Q: Domestic violence, who should be arrested, the person who lays hands on first or the person who's defending themself?

William Jaksa answered on Jul 21, 2019

It could be both, none, or just the instigator. You are allowed to use force to protect yourself during an assault or to prevent an assault, BUT you must be able to justify the force you used. So, for example, you can lay hands on a person first IF it is to protect yourself from an anticipated... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: Can criminal charges be filed against an employee for falling victim to a phone scam while at work

Police are aware and agree it was a phone scam, no arrest complete cooperation and now detective is telling me to pay “ restitution” or the business owner will file charges. What are my rights in this matter

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 12, 2019

Contact employment lawyer. May be problem for employer under the Fair labor Standards Act (FLSA)

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: I live in Nevada but have a felony warrant in tennessee, will tennessee come get me in nevada

Malcolm P. LaVergne answered on May 23, 2019

Tennessee can use extradition to get you in Nevada. Under the extradition law in the U.S. Constitution and subsequent statutes, any state can hold a person who has a valid arrest warrant issued in another state. The issuing state (Tennessee) would then have 30 days to come get you. There is more... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Nevada on

Q: Does a felony show up on my background if the case was dismissed? It was for possession of illegal substance

The case took place in 2011. My case was in a different state.

Anthony M. Avery answered on May 14, 2019

Usually any charge, Felony or Misdemeanor, will show up on background checks if the charge entry was never successfully expunged. There are several different Criminal Databases, and some will show everything, while some will not. You will need to contact the Clerk of the Court you were charged... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: How can a municipal court in Nevada take away your right to a jury trial when charged with a misdemeanor?

Malcolm P. LaVergne answered on Apr 15, 2019

It's complicated, but basically you don't have a right to a jury trial on misdemeanor cases where the prosecutor is not seeking more than 180 days in jail. The Supreme Court of Nevada has ruled on this issue, to the dismay of criminal defense attorneys. If you are facing more than one misdemeanor... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: can a person who was convicted of a felony class ( e ) in 1978 get his record cleaned.

Malcolm P. LaVergne answered on Dec 29, 2018

Not sure about "cleaned," but technically you can have your record "sealed" in Nevada for a Category E felony after two years from the date of your release from custody or release from parole/probation whichever occurs later. See NRS 179.245(1)(c). "A category E felony after 2 years from the date... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: Can you still be charged for cashing a stolen check even though they got their money back?

Gary Kollin answered on Nov 2, 2018

The crime is cashing the stolen check. If everybody could escape from being charged with a crime by paying the money back, then everyone would go out and cash stolen checks and if they were caught they would simply pay the money back.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: My fiance is on probation and got arrested on a ex felon with a firearm. But they arrested him in my apartment which he

Resides here. The gun was was in was in his work truck. Which gets driven by different workers. Can they charge him with the gun?

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 25, 2018

They can charge him. They may have statements from his coworkers. They may have DNA or fingerprints.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on

Q: How do I go about getting accepted back to the state I live in when I’m getting the run around.

If you got in trouble in another state (CA) for a felony (evading a peace officer) and you have a lease with an apartment complex in another state (NV) but they don’t accept felons but you already have a lease with them prior to the incident do they have to accept you back? Or tell your PO it’s... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 22, 2018

You may be able to cancel your lease under force majeure.

You also may be able to travel to Nevada for a short period to get all your stuff, but you may have to reguister with the Sheriff when there

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: What are grounds for dismissal of an indictment

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 16, 2018

I suggest you find a law treatise which would probably about a thousand pages to answer that question. Otherwise, retain counsel because this site is to help people with real questions, not hypothetical.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: In an indictment how is discrimination determine how is invidious Determined If found can case be dismissed

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 16, 2018

Perhaps you can break up your question into separate sentences beginning with a capital letter and ending with a period or a question mark

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: How can I prove that there wasn’t probable cause to pull me over I’ve asked for dashcam recording

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 16, 2018

It sounds like you need help from A to Z. Time to hire counsel

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: In an indictment can the examiner ask directing questions or ask a question with the answer in it

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 16, 2018

Your question is not understandable

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: How do I fire my lawyer And if I fire my lawyer and haven’t agreed to a deal will that be thrown out

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 16, 2018

The Apprentie" "You're fired."

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nevada on

Q: What is hotel security protocol and are they liable for damages in a shooting?

This concerns the hotel mass shooting oct 1 2017

Someone said

Service elevators are not protected by law. That’s a company policy and the only reason they are called service elevators is because they are generally larger in size, able to carry a heavier load, and keep the public... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 19, 2018

If anyone is sued by MGM grand I'll be happy to give them a free consult.

As to the question, status of elevators is not relevant.

Hotel security guards and management liable if they don't take appropriate steps. If the person is violent they are not required to put their life at...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Identity Theft for Nevada on

Q: I been here 5 yearI been trying to find

I tried to contacting xxxx LLC no response there was a fire on the property and I have no insurance policy to give my neighbor. The last time I spoke with him we decuss Renting to Own agreement that was 6/2013. The neighbors fire had me do some research and I found out that xxxx was sued for over... Read more »

Timothy Denison answered on Jun 19, 2018

Your question has so many variations and possibilities that n one can properly answer it without substantially more information and investigation. Cantaloupe a local attorney, one who specializes in civil law, criminal law and bankruptcy. You have a very complex issue that may only be solved with... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.