Asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: are there any programs that help single moms get legal help for custody/child support?

I have a 4 month old and recently I have been letting his dad have him every other weekend. 2 weeks ago the last visitation, there was an incident that leads me to believe he is an unfit parent. He is hiring a lawyer,(his parents have a lot of money). I'm a struggling single mom and haven't got a dime from him and am scared of the outcome if I don't have someone to represent me but I dont have a lot of money...any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I'm very stressed about this. I am on Frederick county md thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Bennett James Wills

  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Contact the Maryland Volunteer Lawyer Service. They may be able to assist.

Lynndolyn Tippins Mitchell

  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Hello,

Since you live in Frederick County, you should contact the Legal Aid Bureau for Frederick County. They have staff attorneys that represent individuals in family law matters. The phone number is (800) 679-8813. You may also want to contact the Frederick County Bar Association, their number is 301.663.1139 | email: They are probably closed for Veteran's Day however, you may contact them on Monday.


Lynndolyn Mitchell

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.