Jackson, MS asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Illinois

Q: If I am a victim of ID theft, can I be arrested if I go to my home state to request my criminal record?

My friend was charged with a felony drug charge in 1997 (and served her probation with no issues), and her "friend" then used her name during an arrest. My friend has been completely clean for 14 years now and wants to seal her criminal record. However, her last background check was done in 2009, and we are both afraid of the police seeing her record, finding new charges incurred by her "friend" and arresting her on the spot. Help!?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If she just wants a copy of her record, she can get it through the mail. She does not have to physically be present to get a copy of her record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.