Illinois Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: If I hire a Chicago Criminal Law Attorney, can they dismiss a Case in North Carolina providing they are licensed there?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Answered on Jun 29, 2018
James G. Dimeas' answer
As long as the lawyer is licensed to practice law in North Carolina, they can handle cases in North Carolina if they practice law in North Carolina.

Q: Can I sue the hospital that help falsified a government birth certificate document which now I'm paying child support

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Gov & Administrative Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Answered on Oct 1, 2017
Ray Choudhry's answer
Need more info.

How did child support get implemented.

Is there a court order.

Q: If I have a protective order against my husband with no visitation unless abated by the court.

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Answered on Jul 19, 2017
Ray Choudhry's answer
Your story is too complicated for an easy answer.

You need a sit down with an attorney.

Q: someone opened a checking account in my name without my permission, would this be something worth getting a lawyer for?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Answered on May 8, 2017
Ray Choudhry's answer
How could all of this be going on without you being aware of it.

Banks send monthly statements. Anyway, they don't honor checks if there is no money in the account.

Credit cards do the same thing. They send monthly statements and if you go over they refuse to honor charges.

If there is something you didn't sign, contact the bank or credit card company and have them cancel whatever.


Q: If I am a victim of ID theft, can I be arrested if I go to my home state to request my criminal record?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Answered on Nov 14, 2016
Cheryl Powell's answer
If she just wants a copy of her record, she can get it through the mail. She does not have to physically be present to get a copy of her record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.