Q: Are Emails and text exchange allowable as evidence in small claims court.
My X landlord will not return my full deposit. He has made false claims ie.
1. Floor repair covered by insurance. I have copy of receipt signed by landlord. Want to charge me $125 to clean house after repair.
2. Clean common areas, even though 3 other tenants occupied which include the landlord $165
3. Clean room I rented although no damage was done. have photos of room the way I left it and receipt for carpet cleaning the day I left. $387.
4. Change House lock. I have text message from fellow tennant that the locks were never changed. $125.
5. Background check done after I left. States due to short stay. $95
6. want to charge for time to respond to Order of Protection court appearence because case was dimissed. $250
total $1142.00 out of $1700 deposit
Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.
The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.
Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.