New Holland, PA asked in Business Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Commercial tenant breach of lease-

Commercial Tenant moved out before lease ended. Landlord is suing tenant for breach of lease agreement. However.. 1 month after tenant moved out landlord submitted an application to the borough for a new zoning permit to put another type of business in the building along with an application to the zoning hearing board for interpretation to open his own business as a flea market building. 4 months later landlord withdrew his application to the town. Is tenant still responsible for the entire 8 months rent for the breach of lease or only up until the time landlord submitted an application for zoning permit?

1 Lawyer Answer
Evan Charles Pappas
Evan Charles Pappas
  • Lemoyne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Unless the lease indicates that the landlord's application to change the use of the premises causes a default or termination of the lease (which is unlikely), it is doubtful that a court would hold that the tenant is not responsible for the remainder of the lease merely because of the landlord's application to the Township for a different use of the property. Landlord could have been looking at its options several months before the end of the lease with the tenant.

As with every legal problem, the specific facts surrounding the issue bear heavily on how it will be determined. This response is intended for informational purposes only, is not to be considered legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.