Omaha, NE asked in Real Estate Law, Bankruptcy, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska

Q: How can I take over my childhood house?

My parents owned the home but we're letting the bank foreclosure on my childhood home because of bankruptcy . So I started to make the mortgage payments to try to get it put into my name for my new home, but now the bank is talking about for taking about foreclosing on me/her (my step mother). My father who is on the loan is trying to get me kicked out because he said if he can not have it I can not. This can not be legal. What can I do to save my home? Omaha NE

1 Lawyer Answer
Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You should save the payment money and approach the bank to take over the loan. Yet, the bank in not likely going to be able to talk with you about it since your not on the loan. Making payments may take your dad out of default but you won't get any credit for the property and your just helping your dad stay in the home. You could make an arrangement with your father to have him add you on the property in exchange for making the payments.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.