Centerville, UT asked in Personal Injury for North Dakota

Q: After mediation fails on a personal injury claim, can I, the Plantiff refuse to settle and force it to court?

I was involved in a car wreck in no fault state, however, the car was totaled and I was left with a debilitating syndrome called CRPS/RSD. The insurance refuses to settle for any where near the limits and is basically only offering to pay lawyers fee and medical bills only, no pain and suffering. Since mediation failed and it will move forward to court, if they do decide to try to settle between now and future court date, do I have to accept settlement if they offer full demand amount, or can I decline and let it go to court since they've refused the demand not once now but twice? I have an EXTREMELY strong case with no liability issues, doctor support in diag, pictures proving condition in body, etc and I am certain that they would not win in court but I'd be willing to gamble it considering they are offering such a low ball joke offer I'd go just on principle at this point. I'd rather it go to court if possible. Case is in North Dakota. Thank you in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You should contact a member of the Trial Lawyers Assn for the state where it happened, ideally in the county where it happened. You are in a complex case situation and need a free consult at least.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.