West Milford, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: How to I apply for college contribution?

I am the custodial parent. The non-custodial parent is current on child support for our one daughter. However, the child support order was created when she was a baby and now she has graduated high school and is going to college, I would like to ask for college contribution from her father. Sadly, he will not provide this additional support without a court order. (He has already tried to have her emancipated but she provided her registration information proving she is currently in school.) She already attended a semester in the Fall of 2015 and a semester in the Fall of 2016. She is enrolled to attend Spring 2017. I have paid out of pocket for application fees, dorm supplies, books and a new computer for college. She has taken out student loans. I have taken out a parent loan for $9,000. I have paid tuition out of pocket as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Santo Artusa Jr.
Santo Artusa Jr.
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should hire an attorney to seek college contributions in my opinion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.