Beaverton, OR asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: Im on probation and just turned 18, my probation says I'm to stay with my mother, what do I do to make it so I can leave

I'm 18 and my probation papers that I signed say I have to stay with my mother until my probation is over but I want to move out. I'm unsure on how to go about un-releasing myself from her and any information would be very helpful

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The terms of probation have nothing to do with your age. If the terms say you are to stay with your mom, then you have to stay there. People on probation may have all sorts of restrictions that they have to abide by. If you have questions talk to your probation officer, but I suspect that the terms won't change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.