Concord, NH asked in Bankruptcy for New Hampshire

Q: I can no longer pay my debt. I owe roughly $7000 between 4 credit cards. I don't own any assets. Should I file Chapter 7

I am wondering if I should just sit on the debt or file for bankruptcy? I only own a 12 year old car that's worth not even $2000. There's no property that I own. I make an average of $160 a week working part time and I get a social security check which is a little over $800 a month. I am not sure if anyone will bother to sue me? That's the main thing I am concerned about. Any information you have will be helpful. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Convenience, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Greetings!

Under your circumstances, filing for a bankruptcy discharge is a matter of your tolerance to the behavior of collectors. I expect debt collectors are calling you. Since you have no means to pay those debts, you should put in writing to each agency that you refuse to pay the debt. By law, they will no longer be able to contact you except under very limited circumstances. The other risk is being sued. Again, since you appear to have no resources from which you could be compelled to make a payment plan, whether to file bankruptcy is a function of your comfort level with the state court system, and having judgments entered against you.

Filing for a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge will clean the slate and allow you to start fresh, but since you have no urgent reasons to proceed, depending on your threshold for the above factors, letting it ride will do you no harm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.