Lansdowne, PA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Pennsylvania

Q: woman signing me up to many websites from whom im receiving calls,emails and contacting family facebook and lying abt me

She keeps signing me up via my email address and phone number, along with my wife and we receive several calls/day from companies for which we have never signed up. She also creates fake Facebook profiles under our names and befriends our family and friends and lies about our relationship matters, casting doubt on the mind of our friends and family about us. She creates new phone numbers and texts my wife random images of finger nails with nail polish on them, weight loss ideas, ecards, etc. I previously tried to get a PFA but the day before the court date, i got into an motorcycle accident and decided not to pursue it as i thought she would have at least realized by then that i was serious when i previously told her i would take legal action, and hoped she would stop. But she has since restarted and instead of direct communication, she is now harassing is via this indirect way, anonymously. Kindly advise if i have a case for a private criminal complaint. Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan L Hyde
Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: No offense, but have you tried calling the police? Depending on the severity of these incidents they can take investigatory action and eventually even charge with stalking. Depending on the websites there are serious safety concerns with this type of behavior. Private criminal complaints are usually a method of last resort as district attorneys don't take them terribly seriously. The issue is if its even semi chargeable they are just going to send it to the police department. Why not cut out the middleman and call the cops directly. Additionally, it may be worth contacting a civil attorney and filing suit. All of this is predicated on you actually being able to prove it is her without the police subpoena power. Good luck, these situations are universally awful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.