Washington, DC asked in Child Custody for District of Columbia

Q: Me and my child dad have share joint custody now in DC but he wants to reopen the case and get full custody but if I was

To move to another state like md or va and go file for full custody once I move will I get it or do I have to wait until we go to court in DC once he reopen the case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA

A: Jurisdiction of the case may remain in DC unless you move and establish new residency elsewhere under the UCCJEA or similar law. The dad might rightly oppose a move-away if it conflicts with his time with the child. Kids need both parents, say developmental psychologists; and the law uses equal time with both parents as a fundamental starting point of inquiry when determining custody rights. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me on my law practice website. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.