Cincinnati, OH asked in Contracts for Ohio

Q: Can a private music teacher force one to continue paying for lessons if one decides to discontinue the lessons?

My son was encouraged to take these lessons. They take place during the day at school and are given by a grad student not employed by the district. We signed a paper stating we would contine the lessons until May, but we are not pleased with the lessons and wish to find our own instructor. The student instructor is insisting that if we quit, we still have to pay her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Martin Turner
Mark Martin Turner
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: As with all contract questions, the answer to this depends on what is written on the contract. If the contract states that you must pay for 10 lessons and the student quits after 5, you will most likely be responsible to pay for the remaining 5 unless the contract itself has a clause that permits the parties to cancel the contract upon some sort of notice.

However, in this case you should check with the school district. If they have employed a poor teacher, there may be a way out of the contract. In all likelihood, the teacher has a separate contract with the district which may have additional language that permits cancellation of the contract.

You can also contact the Teachers school and complain to the music department or other administrator or professor of the grad students conduct. They may be able to put some pressure on her to agree to cancel the remainder of the contract

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.