Concord, NH asked in Foreclosure for New Hampshire

Q: If I am at risk of being foreclosed on, will I go to court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard G Deming
Leonard G Deming
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Nashua, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: New Hampshire has a "statutory power of sale" that most mortgagees utilize when foreclosing. This is non-judicial process which does not require the mortgagee to go to court for an order or judgment like most states have. However, there is a process whereby the party being foreclosed upon can go to court to seek a restraining order or injunction against the mortgagee to stop or delay the foreclosure but this is a choice the debtor makes if he or she has grounds to request such relief. And, of course, if the creditor is not paid in full by the sale of the property, the creditor has a right to sue in court to recover the "deficiency" which may involve the debtor going to court to respond/defend such a lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.