Asked in Business Law, Domestic Violence and Civil Litigation for Oregon

Q: My ex finance refuses to pay money he owes and return my property. There is physical and verbal abuse what do I do?

My ex pushed a quick engagement and moved me from CA to OR. I quit my job, sold many things and moved. He stated if there was a break up he would move me back and pay for my expenses to reestablish. I worked for him part time and he refuses to pay outstanding wages and refuses to pay the re-establishment agreement of 3 months. In total he owes $20,000. He is extremely abusive and has been verbally and physically abusive with me. i have not charged him. I later found out he has a previous relationship that sued him for infliction of emotional distress, he settled out of court. His ex-wife had a restraining order that he routinely broke she charged him and charged him for theft and other things. He is a family doctor and his license was put on suspension but he got it back. I have documented that he is in violation of privacy laws and have told him so he doesn't care.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First, if you knew all about his past to begin with, why did you agree to date him let alone move for him? While not a legal question, it is something to ponder, as a jury will do the same if you went all the way to court on many of your above issues.

Otherwise, I would also suggest not naming people on the internet, as he could then sue you for defamation. Also, as to the privacy issues, either report him to the government or let it go, as any other actions could be seen as extortion.

Lastly, your strongest claims are likely to be those related to employment. I would suggest finding an employment attorney in your area to discuss. Most wage claims allow you to collect the amounts owed, a penalty wage, and for your attorney to recover attorney's fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.