Jersey City, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets for New Jersey

Q: I got two tickets. Driving down one way and Careless driving I want to know if I can get these charges reduced?

Can this be done without my presence since I am out of state?

How much would the lawyer fees be?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Joseph F. Morgano

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Shrewsbury, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The tickets are two points each. If you hire an attorney you will likely get the points reduced. An attorney will be able to resolve the matter by way of affidavit, so you will not have to appear. The lawyer fees will depend on the lawyer.

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. agrees with this answer

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: A good lawyer should be able to reduce or eliminate the points for you. However, in general it is better that you appear in court if you want to get the best result because when the prosecutor knows that your not present he knows he can win the case. Thus in many instances the prosecutor will not offer as good of a deal as you would have gotten had you appeared with the lawyer in court. The lawyer will do most of all the talking for you, so it is a very easy process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.