Carmel, IN asked in Probate, Juvenile Law and Securities Law for Indiana

Q: My gpa passed away when I was 12 and left me a very large amount of money. Obviously I wasn't allowed to have it

Till I was 18. When I reached 18 she said I couldn't have it till 19. Well I'm 21 now and she has yet to tell me any information about my money. When I was around 16 she said that she didn't have it anymore that they had used it and she invested it in the stock market without my permission. She refuses to give me any information at all about it. I'm not sure who I would need to have help me with all of this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You are legally entitled to the money that was left to you as a minor. Your mother as your custodian had a duty to hold that money for you until you came of age. You need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options as there may be an issue with the statute of limitations for bringing a claim against your mother to recover your inheritance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.