Indiana Securities Law Questions & Answers

Q: I pitched a technology start-up idea to a family relative, he liked it and agreed to invest.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Securities Law for Indiana on
Answered on Apr 10, 2017
Jonathan R. Roth's answer
The answer to your question depends on the Tax Treaty between your relatives home country and the USA. Generally, interest paid to foreign nationals on loans made in the USA are subject to US taxes and withholding. The amount of the tax and the withholding is dictated by a tax treaty between the USA and the foreign national. If there is no tax treaty then the US tax would be 30% subject to certain elections which could be made by the foreign national. The withholding would be at least 10%....

Q: My gpa passed away when I was 12 and left me a very large amount of money. Obviously I wasn't allowed to have it

1 Answer | Asked in Probate, Juvenile Law and Securities Law for Indiana on
Answered on Mar 1, 2017
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
You are legally entitled to the money that was left to you as a minor. Your mother as your custodian had a duty to hold that money for you until you came of age. You need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options as there may be an issue with the statute of limitations for bringing a claim against your mother to recover your inheritance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.