Quakertown, PA asked in Medical Malpractice and Health Care Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can your doctors deny medical records to be sent to another doctor due to overdue balance?

I have an overdue balance at my child's doctor they sent to collections I was u ware that they would drop her. When I tried to make her 12 month check up they said they can no longer treat her due to non payment and to find a new doctor. I found a new one that wants the medical records sent over when I called the old doctor they said they will only send her immunization records not medical until I pay them. So now my child can't been seen anywhere can they do this

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This is improper. Explain that you will if necessary to get your child care file a complaint with the department of health and the consumer division of the AG's office. Under the ACA and other statutes your daughter has rights.

You should, by the way, see if she can get coverage under CHIP or ACA that will avoid bills--you may get an aca subsidy under some circumstances with a child that you otherwise wouldn't.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.