Reedley, CA asked in Domestic Violence and Elder Law for California

Q: Can I (68 yrs) get a restraining order against my son who lives with me after I added his name to the title of my house

To begin with I went to a paralegal some years ago intending to leave my house to my son after my passing. But recently, I came to find out, that his name was added to the title of ownership instead. The paralegal whom I went with then for assistance is no longer around. At that time my son was a good son but since then he has become very abusive verbally, mentally, and has threatened me physically

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sergio H. Benavides
Sergio H. Benavides
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can absolutely get a restraining order against your son. But you should know, if it is granted. you might be making your son homeless. If you get a stay away order, then your son won't be able to live in his own home--it happens all the time with domestic violence criminal protective orders.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.