Asked in Immigration Law

Q: HI, I'm an Australian Citizen have a B2 visa as my girlfriend lives in the USA I'm 57, retired and wish to live with her

I have travelled back and forth over the past 2 years to Portland OR to be with here and to comply with my B2 visa requirements. What are my best options to immigrate to the USA, we plan to marry.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather Travar
Heather Travar
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: Generally, the easiest and fastest process is to obtain a K1 Fiancee visa from outside the U.S. If you get married first, it will take a little longer. If you enter on your B2 with the intent to marry and stay in the U.S., you will violate the terms of your visa and you may not be entitled to any future immigration benefits.

Based on what you've stated in your question, you should already have a good amount of evidence to prove a bona fide relationship for engagement.

(Please note this is general information only, not legal advice applied to a specific case. No attorney-client relationship is formed until a written agreement is signed.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.