Broomfield, CO asked in Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for Colorado

Q: What about my moms rights ? They won't even let me see my mom in nursing home

Social services is her guardian...he said this Is his first elderly case..I was taking Care of her from rubbing cream on her legs at night for pain to tucking her into bed and helping her get dressed for 2months I have a spotless record never been in trouble I'm 27 Also..after he took my mom out of the house he gave me a packet for a homeless shelter n kicked me out the house then he said I can only see her once a month in nursing home but now they won't even let me see her I havnt done anything wrong the nurses said that's all my mom talks about is me they won't give Me any of the paperwork in the house it's already cleaned out they said they are taking all her stuff to storage for a year I have 3 of her pension checks she told me to hold but they expired because the conservator didn't want to come pick them up that's 900$ in the drain when she could have used it for food for's a mess I just feel they ain't doing there job or there using her money something don't feel right

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: You need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. If you can't afford one, contact legal aid organizations in your area. You might also contact the state bar association where you live and ask about pro bono services. Human services didn't get involved for no reason but that doesn't mean they have complied with the law or properly respected the rights of you or your mom. If there is a conservator that has failed to collect your mom's benefit checks, that is a breach of fiduciary duty for which there are remedies. It's impossible to say what should have been done in your mom's situation without asking a lot more questions. Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.